Grupo Platinum Dont Give Up Dream Spain

Post-Brexit holiday homes: How the 90/180-day rule works. 

Are you dreaming of a new life among the olive groves of Almeria or the vineyards of Murcia? Perhaps you want to spend more of the year in your second home overlooking the sandy beaches of the Mediterranean?

Happy family running on beach

Since Brexit, Brits now have to limit stays in the Schengen Area to 90 days out of every 180 day period. But there are ways to stay longer, legally, although visa rules vary from country to country.

Here is a quick outline of the post-Brexit changes:

The Schengen 90/180-day rule

All British citizens with a valid passport are entitled to visa-free access throughout the European Union (EU) for short-term visits. That means, for example, you can arrive in Spain or France and freely cross into Portugal, Italy or any of the 26 countries that make up the Schengen Area, with no restrictions.

For weekend breaks, one or two-week holidays, and one-off short stays of a month or two, the entry rules haven’t changed too much from pre-Brexit days.

The significant change comes if you plan a longer stay. Under current rules, British citizens are only permitted to stay 90 days in any 180-day period within the Schengen Area.

Arrive at your Spanish holiday home on May 1st, and you can live there full-time until the end of July, but then you must leave and not return – to Spain or any EU country – until the start of November. These are the same restrictions faced by the majority of non-EU citizens.

Post-Brexit holiday homes: can you stay longer than 90 days in the EU?

Are you looking to move to Spain, or for a holiday home in the sun you can head off to each year, but want to stay longer than just taking short visits to your holiday home?

Since Brexit, British people, officially resident in the uk, now have to limit stays in the Schengen Area to 90 days out of every 180 day period. But there are ways to stay longer, legally, although visa rules vary from country to country.

Here’s how you can extend your stay in Spain

There are a number of visas which allow longer stays than 90 days in every 180 in Spain. These longer-term visas are also referred to as D Visa.

The two most popular are the Non-Lucrative Visa and the Golden Visa.

The Non-Lucrative Visa allows stays of over three months for anyone not taking up employment in Spain and is ideal for retirees. You must demonstrate that you have held a bank balance of €34,000 (or the sterling equivalent) for at least six months and have valid private healthcare cover.

This visa lasts initially for one year and is renewable for further two-year periods with holders able to apply for permanent residency after five years. The application process is generally straightforward and takes between two and three months.

The Golden Visa is available to investors who have spent at least €500,000 on property. It costs around €5,000 for a family application and lasts for two years at a time. Once all the documentation is filed, it’s normally approved within one month.

The Gold Visa provides holders and their family (spouse, children under 18 and dependent parents) with residency permits to live in Spain. It is not compulsory to live in Spain to renew this visa, but if you do live there, you are eligible for permanent residency after five years and for Spanish citizenship after 10 years.

If you need more help and advice contact the team at Grupo Platinum Estates, we will be happy to help and guide you with your move to Spain or to buy your holiday home. Contact us.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
TEAM Sitting march 2022
Team of experts, most of us have made the move to live in Spain and hope we can help people do the same.

(information correct at the time of print)